Tuesday, May 19, 2009

With a liberal dose of sarcasm...

What do you think about sarcasm? Personally I like it. It can't be hurtful. You have to be careful not to use it to destroy someone you like. That eliminates a whole raft of clever things that you can shock and amaze people with, but even with that restriction, well-done sarcasm can add a lot of pizazz to your conversation.

You either grow up with it and like it or your family is careful not to use it and you don't have a clue when someone says "Well this is turning out to be my best day ever" right after he just ran over his neighbor's prized Siamese cat. Now admit it, isn't that a better response than weeping and wailing?

Some years ago I just happened to write 10 checks that the bank, in a most unfriendly manner, decided not to honor just because I didn't have the funds to cover them. Really. That happened. Without a lot of enthusiasm I explained the situation to my husband. His response was so great. After a long quiet moment he said with authority "You are just barely a keeper."I liked that ever so much better than being yelled at.

So with that introduction I would like to say that I have some of the homeliest grandkids ever hatched. See what you think.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

I am all for sarcasm. As you know, I WAS brought up with a big healthy dose of it. But I did find two things: the first is, that some people JUST DON'T GET IT. It isn't because they avoid it... they just don't appreciate irony in any of its forms. The second thing I found, is that while my husband was also completely conversant in the sarcastic arts, it was something we had to leave at the door when we actually got married. And for 25 years, we have enjoyed using our sarcasm on the kids, and talking mean about all kinds of other people behind their backs... but just not on each other. And that is how we have made it to 25 years.

That said, your great-grandkids are pretty darned ugly.

The She-wolf said...

I TOTALLY agree with my mom. Also grandma this is unrelated to your blog
(which is just AWFUL by the way ;)but I heard this and think it is completely true "Women are enemies until something makes them friends & men are friends until something makes them enemies." What do you think?

Tyler said...

You said in your blog "I like [sarcasm]. It CAN'T be hurtful." Maybe a typo, because I have made at least on sister-in-law's very upset with sarcasm. (I won't tell you which one.)

Victoria said...

I don't know, Tyler... do you think maybe she was being SARCASTIC??? That reminds me of that time that you came running in the house and told me there was a dead 'possum in the side yard. And then we went out there with a shovel to dispose of it and it was GONE. And I asked you... have you ever heard the phrase, "playing 'possum?"

Tyler said...

I poked that little jerk with a stick and everything, maybe he was the vanishing kind of dead. ie yoda and obi-wan.