Monday, June 1, 2009

dream a little


This great planet we live on is regulated by time. It revolves in an orderly manner giving each of us 24 hours (roughly)of valuable minutes to use however we see fit. Holy Cow! Have you ever stopped to think how you can maneuver those minutes around to accomplish things that would change your life in a major way?
If you were to monitor one of your days and record how each minute was utilized, you would probably be appalled at how many of those minutes were wasted or misused. (I've done it and I WAS appalled)
If you were to take 30 of those minutes a day for a year you could:
Learn to play something you really like on the piano
Learn to speak Russian or Spanish or Farsi
Learn to cook wonderful things like bread, pies, or amazing Italian dishes
Build up so that you could run a marathon (26+miles)
Take any course on line
Compose a beautiful song
Write a novel
Bring joy by giving service to someone who is handicapped or old (like me)
Learn skills such as painting or overhauling an engine or snowboarding or bellydancing(I'd like to work on all of those except maybe the bellydancing, I'm afraid I might not look too great in the costume)

Of course the list is endless but the point is that just a few minutes a day can
bring attainment of amazing goals.
I am such a believer that we can do anything we really want to do, be anything we really want to be.It is such a rush to accomplish things and such a downer to realize we have settled for so much less than we are capable of.

I would like you to respond to this blog by telling me some goals you are in the process of achieving or even some goals that you would like to achieve.Be very specific, I would like to blog about some of your dreams.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

I'm trying to get my house clean. It is kind of a sad goal. But there you have it. I actually cleaned out my pantry tonight. One less eyesore...

Victoria said...

Oh, and please don't blog about that one:)

Critter's Mom said...

Goals. Oh there is always something that needs to be done. I'm a great list-maker, but a bit lacking on the follow through...getting Jake into swim and gymnastics classes, cleaning out the garage, figuring out what to do with this yard.
One thing I have been thinking about for myself is taking a class on learning how to ride a motorcycle. I always have this idea that somewhere,somehow I'll need to make a quick getaway. You never know when you might find yourself in a "sticky situation". The only available mode of transportation? A motorcycle of course. So, I saw that our local community college was offering a course this summer on learning how to ride one. They provide the helmet and the motorcycle. I provide the cash. I would never personally own one, but should we ever find ourselves being chased into a darkened alley with nothing but a running motorcycle...I can get us out of there!

Victoria said...

Oh my gosh, Sarah, that is some seriously TWISTED thinking... I like it!

Oops! I'm supposed to be grounded from blogs right now... I was never here

Anonymous said...

Being a motorcycle rider myself, I think that's a great idea! Hopefully you won't have the same problem my wife did. After being married a short time, and me buying my wife her first helmet, she got it into her head that she wanted her own motorcycle. Supporting her idea, we went to the same dealership that I bought mine from, and she found the bike she wanted above all else! It was a beautiful Honda Spirit. 750cc is a little big for a starter bike, especially for a small 5'3 woman. But this was it! The most important feature of this bike is that it was the same color as her helmet!! The dealer came by and suggested she sit on the bike to see how it felt. Which she did and said it felt great. But she didn't stand the bike up. We suggested she do so. So she huffed and she puffed, but the kick stand never left the ground.
Maybe she'll get a motorcycle one day. A light weight Honda 250 Rebel.....that matches her helmet. :)
Grandma really made me realize how much time is wasted a day on doing nothing. And how easy it is to accomplish a goal, by simply using baby steps. Heather bought me a guitar for my last birthday. She knew that I deeply missed playing music, and thought that would be a good outlet. I've always wanted to play the guitar. But being fluent in pretty much any instrument BESIDES strings, it's tough for me to get into one that I'm not good at. So my guitar has dust on it. Thanks Grandma, for the motivation. :)

Victoria said...

I don't know, Mom. The more I think about it, the more I think that you can accomplish just as much by whiling away the day reading novels and watching soap operas and eating bon bons. And then be productive in manic bursts in the middle of the night. Time management is for the weak. Besides, if you learn how to fix your own car, cut your own family's hair, make your own food and give service to old people, then think of all the people you put out of work who get paid minimum wage to do those things. You kill the economy and then blame it on Obama. That is no way to live your life.

Victoria said...

I know, I know... I'm supposed to be grounded from playing in blogland. I'm having writer's block, okay???

Josh said...

My goal is to be that man in that picture on this post. Sometime before law school is over, I want to have that same expression on my face as I finish a marathon. Jessica and I are starting to run this week because Cade finally got the OK to ride in our jogging stroller. Woohoo! Take that, Obama!