Good morning.
For those of you who are faint of heart, and those of you who are proud to say that you are not believers, do not read on. Parley had some amazing experiences in his life and in the next few weeks I will tell you about a few of these.
A few years ago when we were living in Yreka, California, and Parley was the Bishop of the Yreka ward, a family came to church to see Parley. They were not members of our church but they told him that they were looking for someone who could help their 12 year old daughter who had Lou Gehrig's disease and was in the convalescent hospital in Yreka. They wanted him to give her a blessing. They told him she was
in terrible pain.
Parley asked me to go with him and when we entered her room, her family was there.
I cannot adequately describe that pitiful little child. She weighed about 25 pounds and her arms and legs were so thin that you could see each bone. She was in a hospital bed that had been padded on all sides to protect her, and it seemed as if
every muscle in her shrunken body was in spasms as she was tossed violently from side to side, making pitiful pained sounds.
Parley stood at the head of her bed and somehow he laid his hands upon her head to give her a blessing. He did not bless her to recover but he blessed her to be at peace.
The doctors had told her parents that she would die of pheumonia. They said that
as her lungs filled with fluid she would be unable to cough it out and she would drown. They warned them that it would be a terrible way to die and it would be terrible to watch.
We went home that night with great sorrow for this child and her parents.
The next morning her father called us to say that it was inconcievable but that shortly after she had received that blessing she quietly went to sleep and her entire body was at rest. A member of our ward who was a nurse at the convalescent hospital called also to tell us of the miracle. No one could explain what had happened.
Two days went by and her mother called. She said that she felt certain that her child was ready to die but that she was fighting it because she was afraid. She asked Parley if he would go again to Beverly Manor and talk to the child and tell her what it would be like after death, and calm her from what fear she was having.
I didn't go with Parley but when he came home he said "I talked to her for a long time. It almost seemed like she was unresponsive but I had a confirming feeling that she heard and understood all that I told her." A few hours later her parents called to say that she had died. She had gone back to her Father in Heaven and she was truly at peace.
Parley almost never mentioned that experience but it was so obvious that Heavenly Father answered that blessing on that tiny child's head.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
he is such an amazing man!
Okay, good one. But too sad. I want to hear about Dad fishing with Joe Montgomery. Or the time that Greg came back all bloody after having the plate glass come down on him. Or the time you left Paul home alone when he was less than a week old (he was very resourceful, even as a baby). How about a near-death experience?
Your doing great with blogging now! Thanks for your posts. I'm glad I get to follow along. When you want to, I can show you how to download your blog into a program that allows you to print it into a book. I love the background and the header!
Hi Sister Hamblin!!!!
cute Shawn hooked me up with this totally fun exciting blog! I am done with Parent mag,Women's day,family circle (but Maybe I'll keep my golf mag)Now, I just have to come here I'll learn Lots as I always have from you! you are my total inspiration! I will always strive to follow your wonderful adventureous footsteps! I have a total testimony of your chocolate cake! Yes Greatest Elder Thorpe still likes it best in a cup with milk! (strange!!!) it is the best! I remember making it lots in wv!!!you were always helping me improve and learn! I loved it all!!! I'd love your favoite kniting patterns for children sweaters!(girls) and how did you make those balls for the elders again! I have a 7 year old who would love one! you use to whip them out! It was fun!!! so a kniting spot on your blog would be fun! your latest good book you have read or wrote! your latest hobby or a hobby corner reporting on all you have tried liked or didn't! that would be fun! etc! post your famous foods. manicotti and Pres's french toast! the syurp song! we now sing it in our family! I even buy the lady just cause it reminds me of y'all! we want to hear more you are amazing! It is sooo fun to learn from ya! This is such a Blast!!! Love ya your greatest fan Mel
Post a Comment