Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Flippy Brahs died yesterday and since I am older than dirt and she was older than I am, I don't know what to tell you. she was an amazing lady. When we moved into the Yreka ward there was a chocolate cake on the kitchen counter when we first walked into the house. I have no idea how she got into the house or even knew it was where we would be living. But that was Flip. She knew everything. You could mention someone who had been in the ward 20 years before and she could tell you where they were now living and how many kids they had had and what color socks they were wearing. And then she would open up her purse and show you a current picture.
She was a great cook and I am going to share two amazing cake recipes that came from her. These are recipes that you will use over and over because the ingredients are pretty much what you always have in your cupboard and they are sensational cakes that everybody loves. As Deb Shirley says, you make one of these cakes and suddenly you realize you ate the whole thing.....

CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. sour milk (milk that you put 1 tsp of vinegar into)
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp cocoa pdr.
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 c. grated zucchini
chocolate chips and walnuts (chopped)

Cream the first four ingredients. Add dry ingrdients. Add vanilla and zucchini. Put into a greased 9x13 pan and cover with walnuts and chocolate chips. Bake at 325* 45 or 50 min.


FLIPS CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 c sugar
2 c flour Put these two ingredients in a large bowl
2 cubes butter
5 tbsp cocoa
1 c water Put these three ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil. Then pour this over the flour and sugar and blend.
Add:
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soda. Mix well. Pour into 9x 13 pan. Bake at 400* for 30 minutes.

Melt together in pan:
1 cube butter
5 tbsp cocoa
6 tbsp milk Then add vanilla and chopped nuts. Spread on hot cake and serve immediately or warm it a few seconds in microwave if it is cold. Soooo good.

I have probably made the chocolate cake 100 times. I have never had a failure and it never fails to be loved by everyone who eats it. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Flippy was one cool lady (I meant) with one seriously cool name. She'll be stirring things up in Heaven. And not just cake. (By the way, the "I meant" was a little Flippy talk--she used to insert that in the middle of most of her sentences somewhere.

bam0612 said...

Flip was a fabulous lady and a fireball. She always had a great conversation ready. Thx for adding her cake. it was as famous as she was. :)

becky ladd-martinez